Vichingo "Peligroso" Trosseau - 2021
David Sampedro and Melanie Hickman, a married couple, own the family winery Bodegas Bhilar out of Elvillar, Rioja Alavesa. Plough horses are used completely on all 17 hectares (about 42 acres) of this certified organic, Demeter (Biodynamic) conversion farm. As a Biodynamic farm, we value our variety of plant and animal life highly. In keeping with their eco-friendly ethos, the entire property runs on electricity generated by solar panels and a windmill. For a short period of time in Rioja's past, Trousseau was mislabeled as another grape type; later, DNA testing revealed that it was actually Maturana Tinta. The couple's penchant for unconventional paths and deep affection for Jura led them to try their hand at a small-scale plantation of the conventionally-accepted Trousseau kind.
Show More Less Information
- Climate:Elvillar, one of the highest altitude communities in Rioja Alavesa. The exposure of the vineyard, perched high on a knoll, provides the ideal windy conditions to keep the grapes healthy and ventilated by the cool Atlantic northern winds.
- Harvest Technique:Horse drawn plough
- Soil:sandy soils
- Vine Age (year planted):2018.0
- Fermentation:Whole clusters were fermented in a concrete tank with local yeast without any temperature control.
- Elevage:The wine is pressed soon after fermentation and sent to an oak vat, where malolactic fermentation occurs naturally. The wine is then aged for nine months in a concrete tank.
- Winemaker Name:David Sampedro and Melanie Hickman
- Producer Website:https://www.bodegasbhilar.es/en
- Total Production:3,000 bottles