LBV Port - 2009
An anomaly in a region where most producers source their grapes, Casa de Santa Eufemia, a grower port estate, was founded in 1894 by Bemardo Rodrigues de Carvalho. Located on the left bank of the Douro, in one of the oldest demarcated wine regions in the world, Santa Eufemia is now run by the sibling duo, Pedro and Lucia Carvalho. Pedro and Lucia cultivate varietals that are nearing extinction in Portugal, including Bastardo, Mourisco Tinto, Tinta Amarela, Tinta Barroca and Tinta Carvalha. The wine is very dark in colour. The taste is of mature fruits such as red currant and plums. There aroma shows a variety Touriga Nacional. The taste is very fruity but also with some complexity. In addition to the preservation of said grapes and more, the Carvalhos have also identified sub-plots within their vineyards, each known by the duo to produce specific colors, aromatics and structure, so that each sub-plot can be designated to a particular Tawny port.
- Brand:Casa De Eufemia
- Sub-Region:Corgo Cima
- Varietal:Touriga Nacional, Touriga Franca, Tinta Roriz, Tinta Barroca, Tinto Cão, Tinta Amarela, Tinta Francisca
Show More Less Information
- Climate:In Cima Corgo, which is east of Baixo Corgo, the average temperature is higher and rainfall not as prevalent.
- Harvest Technique:Hand harvested
- Soil:schist soils
- Vineyard Size:45 ha
- Vine Age (year planted):around 17 years old
- Fermentation:The fermentation occurs in a granite treading tanks (lagares) with capacity of 5000 kg. The grapes fermented for 5 days, using traditional treading by foot. The temperature of fermentation was between 22 and 25 oC. The fermentation was interrupted by the addition of grape spirit (brandy) with 77% alc.
- Elevage:Six months in stainless steel tanks where suffers a natural decantation process. Thereafter the wine is transferred to wooden tanks with a capacity of 5000 liters in a reductive environment where they are kept for about 4 years
- Winemaker Name:Alzira Viseu Carvalho
- Producer Website:https://www.qtastaeufemia.com/
- Sustainable Practice:Yes