Chenin Blanc - 2021
San Juan, where Jelu Estate is based, is around 100 miles north of Mendoza. The company was established there in 2002. Duncan Killiner, the company's co-founder and winemaker, frequently discusses the unique environment of the Zonda Valley. When Duncan was in his twenties, he became known as a "flying winemaker," consulting for vineyards all around the globe. During that time, they worked 80 harvests. He stopped in Uruguay for a while before taking a position in Mendoza, Argentina, in 2002. After working there for six months, he saw Argentina for what it was truly capable of. Duncan gets his grapes from places like San Juan's Zonda Valley and Patagonia, both of which practice organic farming methods. January (the southern hemisphere's equivalent of July) is grape harvest time, which is earlier than the norm for the region. Duncan does this so that the wines end up with just the right amount of acidity and alcohol after fermentation is complete. Duncan's passion for winemaking and the San Juan region's natural beauty come through in the vibrant, vivacious wines made in the high-elevation glacial valley.
- Sub-Region:San Juan
- Commune/Village:Zonda Valley
- Varietal:Chenin Blanc
Show More Less Information
- Climate:The Zonda Valley is warmer and dryer than the wine-producing regions of Mendoza to the south since it is closer to the Equator. The San Juan River supplies abundant of high-quality snow-melt water for irrigation, and vignerons use meticulous irrigation techniques to control vine vigor and output. During the spring and early summer, the temperature-regulating Zonda breeze blows. During the growing season, however, the Zonda Valley experiences the same diurnal temperature change as many of the wine districts around the eastern edge of the Andes. Hot, sunny days are followed by cold nights, which inhibit the ripening process.
- Harvest Technique:Hand harvested
- Soil:gravelly soils
- Vineyard Size:10 ha
- Vine Age (year planted):Vines with an average age of 25 years
- Fermentation:Sorted in cellar, destemmed and pressed to tank, and temperature-controlled stainless steel fermented
- Elevage:3-4 months on the lees
- Winemaker Name:Duncan Killiner