Friuli Venezia Giulia, Italy
The winery was established in 1998 with just 0.5 ha and a lot of enthusiasm. Today, in Friuli Venezia Giulia in the northeast of Italy, Marco Cecchini operates four hectares of organic farming after restoring and expanding the previous vineyard. The experience gained from 25 harvests allows for natural vinification. The wines are considered to be "messages in the bottle," similar to those you leave on a beach, that describe the landscapes worked in every day. Marco Cecchini has a degree in economics, international trade, and currency markets. However, when he worked with his grandfather in the small family vineyard, he fell in love with the work of winemaking right away and decided 25 years ago to start his journey in the wine industry. The property vineyard that was restored in 2000 is referred to as "1867." This is because, at the top of the hill, there was an old shepherds rest stop from 1867. Here, in the dead of winter, sheep herders would escape the cold winter nights inside this stone enclosure. Marco has kept it on his land as a historical reminder and even incorporated the 1867 into his business.
- Producer: Azienda Agricola Marco Cecchini
- Vendor: Azienda Agricola Marco Cecchini
- Varietals: Friulano, Refosco, Chardonnay, Cabernet Franc, Riesling, Pinot Bianco, Verduzzo, Pinot Grigio
- Labor Practices: From the vineyards to the winemaking, this winery is run by a single individual. During harvest, we used to hire pickers from a non-profit organization that helps immigrants get their first jobs and settle in Italy. Marco also likes to work with Enology students as a winemaking assistant to refresh his knowledge and interact with them.
- Country: Italy
- Region: Friuli Venezia Giulia
- Sub Region: Udine