Passorosso DOC Etna Rosso - 2019
An amalgamation of Nerello Mascalese grapes grown at various heights on Etna's northern flank. The higher elevations are typically located on gravelly soils with a coarser grain size, while the lower elevations are typically situated on finer and deeper soils composed of ancient lava flows that have now been oxidized and reduced to lava dust. This wine captures the essence of multiple distinct regions within a single bottle, providing an all-encompassing sense of place. The 2019 Passorosso effortlessly releases a heady bouquet of roses and cherries. It has a velvety texture with a refreshingly cool undercurrent of acidity and sweetness, making for an alluringly lively and fruit-forward flavor. The 2019 finishes strong, with lingering notes of spiced citrus and firm red candies giving way to a coating of round tannins that give the wine a characteristic dry texture.
- Commune/Village:Castiglione Di Sicilia
- Varietal:Nerello Mascalese
Show More Less Information
- How much so2 added:40 mg/l
- Climate:A late ripening year on Mt. Etna as well, the vintage was characterized by a decidedly cold spring during April and May, with a light frost over May 6 7. This persistent cold weather continued until the end of May without interruption, causing a significant delay in flowering, which itself continued until the middle of June.
- Harvest Technique:Hand harvested
- Soil:volcanic soils
- Vineyard Size:15 ha
- Vine Age (year planted):1938 1960 1990
- Fermentation:After destemming and pressing, the must macerates for around 15 days. A pie de cuve starts fermentation in stainless steel, and a submerged cap extrapolates fruity notes without exaggerating tannins.
- Elevage:12 months in concrete tanks, 6 months in big oak casks. Bottling takes place in waning moon June.
- Winemaker Name:There is a team that follow the direction of Andrea Franchetti
- Scores:Eric Guido, Vinous, 92 points
- Total Production:2500 cases
- Sustainable Certificates:Passopisciaro is certified organic and uses only treatments with zero chemical impact—clays, propolis, vitamin C, natural copper, and sulfur.