La Mercedes - 2021
There are no men in suits or English speaking guides. No video to watch, or gift shop to visit. In fact, the very humble, charmingly decrepit bodega just expanded beyond the small cellar as they slowly added new space for more fermentation tanks and even…a…bathroom. José “Pepe” Blanco and his brother Francisco “Paco” Blanco started the Callejuela winery in1980 They were Almacenistas making base wine from their own Palomino vineyards that they sold to the local bodegas of Sanlúcar. Throughout decades, their father, a prominent local viticulturist, increased his hectares by slowly buying small parcels. In 1998 they created the brand Viña Callejuela, and in 2015 they expanded the brand by releasing their Blanquito Manzanilla Pasada, La Casilla Amontillado y El Cerro Oloroso, their extensively aged generoso wines, as well as single vineyard, single vintage, "vinos estáticos" Manzanillas Las Mercedes is made from un-fortified Palomino must from their 8 ha plot in Añina located in the hills of Jerez. This 8ha Añina pago is their windiest and most weathered vineyard with eastern raw exposure to the Levante winds. This creates a thicker, more tannic skin and richer, rounder textures.
- Brand:Vina Callejula
- Commune/Village:Sanlucar de Barrameda
- Varietal:Palomino Fino
Show More Less Information
- Climate:Being one of the most southerly winegrowing regions in Europe Summers are dry and very hot , though the proximity of the Atlantic Ocean has an important role to play in maintaining levels of humidity and moderating temperatures. The average annual temperature is 17.3ºC with very mild winters, during which temperatures rarely drop below zero. The region enjoys between 3,000 and 3,200 hours of effective sunlight per year. Levels of rainfall are quite high, on average six hundred litres per square meter.
- Soil:loam soils
- Vineyard Size:8 ha
- Fermentation:This single vineyard from Anina, single variety Palomino is produced from the first grape selection, the second selection goes to Blanco de Hornilos. The juice is fermented in old Manzanilla botas.
- Elevage:The resultant wine is aged on fine lees with 10% ullage for 7 months of ageing under velo de flor. The smaller ullage facilitates only a light coverage of flor, which in combination with shorter ageing, emphasises expression of the Albariza over that of the yeast.
- Winemaker Name:José (Pepe) and Francisco (Paco) Blanco Romero
- Producer Website:https://www.callejuela.es
- Total Production:1,000 bottles