Amontillado La Casilla NV
There are no men in suits or English speaking guides. No video to watch, or gift shop to visit. In fact, the very humble, charmingly decrepit bodega just expanded beyond the small cellar as they slowly added new space for more fermentation tanks and even…a…bathroom. José “Pepe” Blanco and his brother Francisco “Paco” Blanco started the Callejuela winery in1980 They were Almacenistas making base wine from their own Palomino vineyards that they sold to the local bodegas of Sanlúcar. Throughout decades, their father, a prominent local viticulturist, increased his hectares by slowly buying small parcels. In 1998 they created the brand Viña Callejuela, and in 2015 they expanded the brand by releasing their Blanquito Manzanilla Pasada, La Casilla Amontillado y El Cerro Oloroso, their extensively aged generoso wines, as well as single vineyard, single vintage, "vinos estáticos" Manzanillas The grapes are sourced from all of three vineyard sites and blended for press, fermented in stainless steel and then fortified to 15% before entering into the Solera system to age as a Manzanilla. After more than 7 years aging biologically under flor, the flor loses vigor and dissipates as the wines begins its journey to Amontillado. This wine is then aged oxidatively for an additional average age of 20 years. d. Traditional notes of almonds and walnut skin but with a citrus blast and floral lantana like elegance that perfumes the salty toasted notes of dark Cocoa and coffee beans. Incredibly dry, this elegant wine has endless layers and should be consumed over the course of weeks
- Brand:Vina Callejula
- Varietal:Palomino Fino
Show More Less Information
- Climate:Being one of the most southerly winegrowing regions in Europe Summers are dry and very hot , though the proximity of the Atlantic Ocean has an important role to play in maintaining levels of humidity and moderating temperatures. The average annual temperature is 17.3ºC with very mild winters, during which temperatures rarely drop below zero. The region enjoys between 3,000 and 3,200 hours of effective sunlight per year. Levels of rainfall are quite high, on average six hundred litres per square meter.
- Harvest Technique:sustainable, dry farmed
- Soil:loam soils
- Winemaker Name:José (Pepe) and Francisco (Paco) Blanco Romero
- Producer Website:http://callejuela.es/
- Total Production:572 half-liter bottles were filled.