Blanco de Hornillos 2021
There are no men in suits or English speaking guides. No video to watch, or gift shop to visit. In fact, the very humble, charmingly decrepit bodega just expanded beyond the small cellar as they slowly added new space for more fermentation tanks and even…a…bathroom. José “Pepe” Blanco and his brother Francisco “Paco” Blanco started the Callejuela winery in1980 They were Almacenistas making base wine from their own Palomino vineyards that they sold to the local bodegas of Sanlúcar. Throughout decades, their father, a prominent local viticulturist, increased his hectares by slowly buying small parcels. In 1998 they created the brand Viña Callejuela, and in 2015 they expanded the brand by releasing their Blanquito Manzanilla Pasada, La Casilla Amontillado y El Cerro Oloroso, their extensively aged generoso wines, as well as single vineyard, single vintage, "vinos estáticos" Manzanillas Great value for an entry level unfortified wine from the Sherry region. There is richness in fruit, a sapidity balanced by the Albariza edge pungency. Crunchy concentrations of aloe and hints of macadamia, this young sipper is all the flavor of Sanlúcar with white wine weight.
- Brand:Vina Callejuela
- Varietal:Palomino Fino
Show More Less Information
- Climate:Being one of the most southerly winegrowing regions in Europe Summers are dry and very hot , though the proximity of the Atlantic Ocean has an important role to play in maintaining levels of humidity and moderating temperatures. The average annual temperature is 17.3ºC with very mild winters, during which temperatures rarely drop below zero. The region enjoys between 3,000 and 3,200 hours of effective sunlight per year. Levels of rainfall are quite high, on average six hundred litres per square meter.
- Soil:loam soils
- Vineyard Size:All togehter (the three vineyards) is 28 ha.
- Fermentation:This blend is produced from the second grape selections from each pago and are co-fermented in stainless steel.
- Elevage:Aged for an additional 5 months on lees.
- Winemaker Name:José (Pepe) and Francisco (Paco) Blanco Romero
- Producer Website:http://callejuela.es/
- Total Production:6, 000 bottles