Brunello di Montalcino 2017
Grown on a tiny biodynamically farmed estate northwest of Montalcino, San Polino’s Brunello is a full and succulent wine. Lush black-fruit aromas lead to a rich palate that walks a tightrope between soft tannins and zesty acidity. This wine is a happy wine; fruity and succulent, with soft tannins and a zestful acidity. The fact that is comes from a hot vintage is not felt in the wine, instead the feeling is of lush fullness. On the nose you find blackberry, blackcurrant and loamy soil, the mouth gives a long, smooth finish.
- Brand:San Polino
- Size:750 ml
Show More Less Information
- Climate:Although the winter was particularly harsh, the vineyards did not suffer from any frost damage, and the sping started with fcool temperatures and abundant precipitations. As summer drew closer, the temperatures rose above average values. Summer of 2017 was very hot and dry. Whilst the plants did suffer slightly, our high altitude ensured constant ventilation and the all-important fresh night temperatures. Rain finally arived in September, allowing the grapes to ripen under near optimal conditions.
- Harvest Technique:Hand harvested
- Soil:loam soils
- Vineyard Size:8 ha
- Vine Age (year planted):1990
- Fermentation:Grapes are fermented with indigenous yeasts in tronic oak vats. They spend three days at 12°C before fermentation, and 30 days afterward.
- Elevage:At least 3 years 6 months in large Savonian oak barrels
- Winemaker Name:Luigi Fabbro and Katia Nuassbaum
- Finning & Filtration:None
- Scores:James Suckling 94
- Total Production:1600 cases
- Sustainable Certificates:San Polino is Certified Organic and follows biodynamic and sustainable principles. They’ve adopted agroforestry to increase soil biodiversity and mycelial networks, plus their winery aims for carbon neutrality. They use only sustainable electricity sources and the most environmentally respectful packaging.
- Sustainable Practice:Yes