Brunello di Montalcino - 2016
Il Colle wines express Brunello's original force and structure without the lifeless severity of certain traditionalists or the luxurious anonymity of some modernists. They are a testament to the Montalcino slopes, Giulio Gambelli's simple insight and clarity, and Caterina Carli's dedication. The Brunello spends four years in barrel and one year in bottle before release, making it Riserva, however Caterina agrees with Gambelli that Riserva is a very rare honor.
- Brand:Il Colle
- Varietal:Sangiovese Grosso
Show More Less Information
- How much so2 added:41 mg/l
- Harvest Technique:Hand harvested
- Soil:clay, sandstone and limestone
- Vineyard Size:5 ha of today's vineyard are classed for Brunello, 1.5 ha for Rosso di Montalcino.
- Fermentation:Caterina ages her Brunello in 500 to 5,000 liter barrels (between 2 and 3 years) made of Slavonian & Allier oak - eschewing the use of barriques - using natural yeasts, no temperature control, long maceration on skins, and no filtering, resulting in less oak influence and more varietal nuance. Following Gambelli's concept and spirit, her goal is to allow the vineyard to express itself in a clean atmosphere while honoring the region's culture. Other than the vineyard and the vintage, no external influences can influence the wine.
- Elevage:24-36 months in big cask
- Winemaker Name:Caterina Carli
- Finning & Filtration:No
- Producer Website:https://www.ilcolledicarli.it/il-colle/
- Total Production:3,500 cases
- Sustainable Practice:Yes