Brunello di Montalcino 'Helichrysum' - 2017
San Polino crafts this Brunello from the highest sections of their tiny vineyard northwest of Montalcino. The name was inspired by a local wild herb, and the aromas live up to it, accenting ripe black cherries with dried flowers and sandalwood. Aged for over three years in Slavonian and French oak, it’s opulent yet well-structured, full-bodied yet surprisingly agile, with fine, dusty tannins that float across the palate. Unique aromas of dried flowers and sandalwood with ripe black cherries. Breathtaking. It’s full bodied yet rather agile and weightless with fine dusty tannins that float across the palate. Wonderfully done for this difficult vintage.
- Brand:San Polino
- Varietal:Sangiovese grosso
Show More Less Information
- How much so2 added:40 ml/l
- Climate:Although the winter was particularly harsh, the vineyards did not suffer from any frost damage, and the sping started with fcool temperatures and abundant precipitations. As summer drew closer, the temperatures rose above average values. Summer of 2017 was very hot and dry. Whilst the plants did suffer slightly, our high altitude ensured constant ventilation and the all-important fresh night temperatures. Rain finally arived in September, allowing the grapes to ripen under near optimal conditions.
- Harvest Technique:Hand harvested
- Soil:loam soils
- Vineyard Size:8 ha
- Vine Age (year planted):1990.0
- Fermentation:Grapes are fermented with indigenous yeasts in tronic oak vats. They spend three days at 12°C before fermentation, and 40 days afterward.
- Elevage:6 months battonage on less in french barriques, 3.5 years in large Slavonian and French oak barrels
- Winemaker Name:Luigi Fabbro and Katia Nuassbaum
- Finning & Filtration:No
- Producer Website:https://www.sanpolino.it/
- Total Production:1,300 cases
- Sustainable Certificates:San Polino is Certified Organic and follows biodynamic and sustainable principles. They’ve adopted agroforestry to increase soil biodiversity and mycelial networks, plus their winery aims for carbon neutrality. They use only sustainable electricity sources and the most environmentally respectful packaging.
- Sustainable Practice:Yes