Carmenere Gran Reserva 2017
Active in Chilean agriculture, grape growing and winemaking since 1740, the Echeverria family established their current vineyards and winery in 1923 in the outskirts of Molina, a town in the Curicó Valley. Here, they grow grapes from French pre-philloxera rootstocks, on their 80 ha of vineyards. Originally established to produce bulk wines, in 1990, the winery was converted to produce quality wines for export. In the following years, Echeverria was one of the few boutique wineries to emerge from Chile, and the first family winery from Chile to sell wine to Harrods in London. This Carmenère combines intense aromas of ripe cherries and blackberries, with hints of red bell pepper, dried fruit and spices. Smooth and full-bodied, it has a round and delicate mouthful due to 12 months oak barrel ageing.
- Brand:Vina Echeverria
- Region:Curico Valley
- Varietal:100% Carmenere
Show More Less Information
- Climate:Mediterranean with a long, dry summer season and intense sunlight. Marked DTR (Diurnal Temperature Range, or difference between day and night temperatures), key for assisting the development of flavors. Annual rainfall is 600mm average during winter, mostly between June and August.
- Harvest Technique:Manual harvest in boxes of 18kg.
- Soil:Alluvial in origin. Clay loam with the presence of stones at 80cm.
- Vineyard Size:80 ha
- Vine Age (year planted):Ungrafted selected clones of pre-phylloxera French rootstock.
- Fermentation:Fermented to dryness in 15,000 Liter stainless steel tanks for 10 days at 25-28°C with selected yeasts. Extended skin maceration for an additional 6 days 100% malolactic fermentation.
- Elevage:Aged in 225 Liter French used barrels between 10 and 12 months.
- Winemaker Name:Roberto Echeverria jr.
- Producer Website:http://www.echewine.com/
- Sustainable Practice:Yes