Castagnino' Syrah Cortona DOC - 2021
Castagnino is made with 100% Syrah. It is made only from grapes cultivated in our vineyards, with very low yields per hectare (40 q. from 5.000 vines), strictly selected all over the year, hand picked (usually from mid-September) and fermented naturally with indigenous yeast. It is a fresh and fruity wine, the flavour profile with notes of plum, juniper berries, floral and pleasantly herbaceous hints. In the mouth it is tasty, fragrant and balanced, has good structure and good concentration, soft tannins, combined with lively and pleasant acidity.
Show More Less Information
- How much so2 added:30 mg/l
- Climate:In Cortona, the summers are short, warm, and mostly clear and the winters are long, very cold, and partly cloudy. Over the course of the year, the temperature typically varies from 33°F to 87°F and is rarely below 24°F or above 95°F.
- Harvest Technique:Hand harvested
- Soil:schist soils
- Vineyard Size:5 ha
- Vine Age (year planted):2000.0
- Fermentation:Harvest is done usually in mid September, just before harvesting grapes for Il Castagno. Grapes are hand-picked into small 15 kg boxes with ventilation holes, gently destemmed, opening but not crushing the berries, and then pumped in temperature–controlled stainless steel tanks where, thanks to native yeasts, spontaneous fermentation is carried out for about 15 days. The following maceration on skins lasts about two more weeks. Natural malolactic fermentation (only of the free-run wine, because we never use press wine in our bottles) is spontaneously inducted; then follows
- Elevage:A short maturation on lees and after that the ageing period is spent in glass-lined cement vats for at least 8 months.
- Winemaker Name:Valentino Ciarla, Attilio Pagli, Alessandro Lanterna
- Scores:Luca Maroni 94/100; J.S. 92/100; R.P. 89/100.
- Producer Website:http://www.fabriziodionisio.it/
- Total Production:400 cases
- Sustainable Certificates:Biodiversity Friendly
- Sustainable Practice:Yes