Chenin Blanc 2021
Jelu Estate was founded in 2002 and is located in San Juan, which is approximately 100 miles North of Mendoza. Duncan Killiner, the co-founder and winemaker speaks often of the distinctive climate of the Zonda Valley. In the 1990's, Duncan worked as a "flying winemaker," consulting at wineries around the world. Working over 80 harvests in ten years. He paused for a time in Uruguay until 2002 when he was offered a job in Mendoza. After six months of working in Argentina, he realized the true potential of the terroir. Shortly after, Jelu was established to promote Argentina's terroirs. Duncan sources organically grown grapes from regions, including the Zonda Valley in San Juan and Patagonia. The grapes are harvested in January (the southern hemisphere's equivalent of July) which is relatively early compared to other producers in the region. Duncan does this to ensure that the wines ferment completely dry with balanced levels of acidity and alcohol. The high-elevation glacial valley produces distinctive wines that are bright, lively and truly expressive of both Duncan’s passion and the San Juan region itself.
- Region:San Juan
- Sub-Region:Zonda Valley, San Juan
- Varietal:Chenin Blanc
Show More Less Information
- Climate:Being closer to the Equator than the wine-producing regions of Mendoza in the south, the Zonda Valley is warmer and drier. The San Juan River provides plenty of high-quality snow-melt water for irrigation, and vignerons are able to control the vigor and yield of the vines using careful irrigation techniques. The temperature-moderating Zonda wind blows during spring and early summer. However, during the growing season the Zonda Valley enjoys the same diurnal temperature variation that is felt in many of the wine regions along the eastern edge of the Andes. Hot, sunny days are followed by cold nights when the ripening process is slowed.
- Harvest Technique:100% hand-picked in 10kg boxes.
- Soil:Two meter deep river shingles and pudding stones with little or no fine soil
- Vineyard Size:10 ha
- Vine Age (year planted):Average of 25 years-old vines
- Fermentation:Sorted in cellar, destemmed and pressed to tank, and temperature-controlled stainless steel fermented
- Elevage:3-4 months on the lees
- Winemaker Name:Duncan Killiner