Contrada R - 2020
The Nerello Mascalese in this single-vineyard wine comes from the highest possible elevation that vines will grow on Mt. Etna—more than 1,000 meters above sea level. The volcanic sands in this tiny Contrada Rampante vineyard are more oxidized than other parts of the mountain, yielding an incredibly delicate and aromatic Etna Rosso. Contrada R is one of the most delicate and aromatic wines ever can be found on the slopes of the volcano. The lands are of very old lava, more sandy and oxidized than other parts. On the way of its considerable height it is always the last vineyard to be harvested.
- Commune/Village:Castiglione Di Sicilia
- Varietal:Nerello Mascalese
Show More Less Information
- How much so2 added:40 mg/l
- Climate:The summer of 2020 was moderated by many rains, and generally from bad weather; at the end of the month July then the heat returned, until the rains of 10 August and finally those of early September.
- Harvest Technique:Hand harvested
- Soil:volcanic soils
- Vineyard Size:1.7 ha
- Vine Age (year planted):1938 1960 1990
- Fermentation:After destemming and pressing, the must macerates for around 15 days. A pie de cuve starts fermentation in stainless steel, and a submerged cap extrapolates fruity notes without exaggerating tannins.
- Elevage:18 months in big oak casks. Bottling takes place in waning moon June.
- Winemaker Name:There is a team that follow the direction of Andrea Franchetti
- Scores:Eric Guido, Vinous, 89 points
- Total Production:300 cases
- Sustainable Certificates:Passopisciaro is certified organic and uses only treatments with zero chemical impact—clays, propolis, vitamin C, natural copper, and sulfur.