Contrada S 2021
A deep Nerello Mascalese expression that spotlights the terroir of Contrada Sciaranuova. Meaning “new casting” in Sicilian, Sciaranuova occupies a relatively young lava flow, just 200 years old. Passopisciaro’s vineyard here produces a full-bodied, expressive wine that has dense and well-integrated tannins, plus facets of freshness and minerality. Light and bright ruby red Elegant and deep, of small red fruits, cherries in alcohol, licorice, black pepper and forest spices It tastes structured, full-bodied, expressive, very fresh and mineral, with dense and well integrated tannins
- Brand:Vini Franchetti
- Sub-Region:Etna / IGT Terre Siciliane
- Varietal:Nerello Mascalese
- Size:750 ml
Show More Less Information
- How much so2 added:40 mg/l
- Climate:The summer of 2020 was moderated by many rains, and generally from bad weather; at the end of the month July then the heat returned, until the rains of 10 August and finally those of early September.
- Harvest Technique:Hand harvested
- Soil:volcanic soils
- Vineyard Size:2 ha
- Vine Age (year planted):1938 1960 1990
- Fermentation:After destemming and pressing, the must macerates for around 15 days. A pie de cuve starts fermentation in stainless steel, and a submerged cap extrapolates fruity notes without exaggerating tannins.
- Elevage:18 months in big oak casks. Bottling takes place in waning moon June.
- Winemaker Name:There is a team that follow the direction of Andrea Franchetti
- Finning & Filtration:No. light filtration
- Scores:Eric Guido, Vinous, 96 points
- Total Production:500 cases
- Sustainable Certificates:Passopisciaro is certified organic and uses only treatments with zero chemical impact—clays, propolis, vitamin C, natural copper, and sulfur.
- Sustainable Practice:Passopisciaro is certified organic and uses only treatments with zero chemical impact—clays, propolis, vitamin C, natural copper, and sulfur.
- Tasting Notes:Contrada R is one of the most delicate and aromatic wines ever can be found on the slopes of the volcano. The lands are of very old lava, more sandy and oxidized than other parts. On the way of its considerable height it is always the last vineyard to be harvested