'Athanor' Caramelized Mead 2021
The Athanor is a "bochet" style mead inspired by the famed alchemical oven. The Athanor starts with slowly heating raw honey to caramelize it, then fermenting the results with two different wine yeasts. Following initial fermentation the resulting dark amber is stored and fermented in recently emptied Heaven Hill Whiskey barrels. The Athanor is aged for over a year before taking on additional rich chocolate and vanilla notes. Dry and brisk, with a high ABV at 17+% The Athanor is a perfect sipper for those chilly nights to come. The Athanor is a limited edition bottle, with hand silkscreen labels. Suggested pour: 2oz in a rocks glass. Single ice cube optional.
- Region:New York
- Sub-Region:Hudson Valley
Show More Less Information
- Harvest Technique:Hand harvested
- Fermentation: Our honey is diluted with water and combined with various botanicals, fruit, or fruit juices that are available locally and seasonally, and then fermented in wood barrels until there are no sugars from the honey remaining. In some cases, we begin the ferment in stainless steel or glass. We primarily use wild yeast that already exists on the fruits and in our honey. The yeast multiplies, consuming the sugars and converting them to alcohol. The water and alcohol extract the right flavors from the herbs and skins of the fruit until the meadmaker decides to remove them. It is a low-tech process that allows us to produce meads of the highest quality in cooperation with the natural world.
- Elevage:post fermentation stored in recently emptied Heaven Hill whisky barrels
- Winemaker Name:Raphael Lyon
- Producer Website:https://enlightenmentwines.com/