Il Castagno Syrah Cortona - 2018
Il Castagno is the wine that I’ve always wanted to make, the main wine, the symbol product of our winery. Fabrizio Dioniaio. It is made only from Syrah grapes cultivated in our vineyards, with very low yields per hectare (40 q. from 5.000 vines), strictly selected all over the year, particularly before and during the harvest, hand picked (usually from mid-September) into small 15 kg. boxes with ventilation holes.
Show More Less Information
- How much so2 added:30 mg/l
- Climate:In Cortona, the summers are short, warm, and mostly clear and the winters are long, very cold, and partly cloudy. Over the course of the year, the temperature typically varies from 33°F to 87°F and is rarely below 24°F or above 95°F.
- Harvest Technique:Hand harvested
- Soil:schist soils
- Vineyard Size:3 ha
- Vine Age (year planted):2000.0
- Fermentation:The grapes are very gently destemmed without crushing the berries; then pumped in temperature–controlled stainless steel tanks, where the slow natural fermentation is carried out for about 15 days using local yeast presents on the skin grapes; the following maceration of the skins lasts about three more weeks. Natural malolactic fermentation (only of the free-run wine, because press wine is never used for production of our wines) is spontaneously inducted.
- Elevage:The long maturation on lees (12 months) is followed by an ageing period (12 months) in French premium quality medium large oak barrels from Allier, Nevers and Troncais. Only 10 % is new oak.
- Winemaker Name:Valentino Ciarla, Attilio Pagli, Alessandro Lanterna
- Scores:Luca Maroni 94 / 100. James Suckling. 93 / 100. Robert Parker 92 / 100
- Producer Website:http://www.fabriziodionisio.it/
- Total Production:200 cases
- Sustainable Practice:Yes