Le Cupole - 2019
The second wine of Tenuta di Trinoro, Le Cupole was first produced in 1995. The blend of the four grape varieties Merlot, Cabernet Franc, Cabernet Sauvignon, and Petit Verdot, changes every year with the respect to the vintage. Fermented in stainless steel and aged in one to three year-old barriques and cement, Le Cupole is velvety and approachable. This wine hits the palate with exuberance, full of fleshy, bright fruit, extracted tannins, and rich colour.
- Brand:Tenuta di Trinoro
- Varietal:Merlot 56%, Cabernet Franc 26%, Cabernet Sauvignon 11%, Petit Verdot 7%
Show More Less Information
- How much so2 added:60 mg/l
- Climate:Vintage 2020 18 September 2020 We go outside early in the morning and head for the vineyards; the air is already getting hot. We reach the closest rows of bear fruit, it’s being whipped by a southerly wind that is keeping summer hanging on the valley. I grab some berries of merlot, they don’t have much taste – it’s too early and the fruit is sugary and flat. The wind gets stronger every day, by the 30th of September I see some areas with clusters of fruit starting to shrivel. Then the wind grows deafening; rain bursts and starts falling white and loud over the vines and it keeps up for the next three days.
- Harvest Technique:Hand harvested
- Soil:alluvial soils
- Vineyard Size:5 ha
- Vine Age (year planted):1996.0
- Fermentation:Fermentation in stainless steel vats for 10-15 days, using indigenous winery yeast. 3 Pumping overs per day to maximize the extraction of color and varietal characters. Natural malolactic in big cask and by the end of December the wine is moved in used French oak.
- Elevage:French oak barrels, and cement tanks
- Winemaker Name:Franchetti Team: Lorenzo Fornaini and Calogero Portannese.
- Finning & Filtration:No
- Scores:Antonio Galloni, Vinous, 92 points: “The 2020 Le Cupole is a rich, flavorful wine. Super-ripe dark cherry, plum, espresso, incense and chocolate are front and center. There’s not much subtlety here, but then again I am not sure that is the goal, either. This flamboyant red will be a joy to drink right out of the gate. Drinking window: 2022-2030”
- Total Production:3000 cases
- Sustainable Practice:Yes