Memento Mori' Dandelion Mead - 2022
Memento Mori combines wildflower honey, orange peel, and dandelions foraged at peak bloom to create a sensory experience akin to strolling in a meadow on the first warm day of spring. One of the first meads ever produced and sold by Enlightenment Wines Meadery, Memento Mori has come to set the standard as America’s finest dandelion wine. Fermented with a greater amount of honey than other meads made by Enlightenment Wines Meadery, Memento Mori features long and intriguing tannins, with an intriguing vegetal base note that makes it a distinctive substitute for dry vermouth. Traditionally used in New England as an early-spring medicinal tonic, this mead can now be enjoyed all year as a refreshment in the aperitif/digestif mode. 18% ABV Semi sweet.
- Region:New York
- Sub-Region:Hudson Valley
- Varietal:Wildflower honey, orange peel and dandelions
Show More Less Information
- Country:United States
- Harvest Technique:Hand harvested
- Fermentation: Our honey is diluted with water and combined with various botanicals, fruit, or fruit juices that are available locally and seasonally, and then fermented in wood barrels until there are no sugars from the honey remaining. In some cases, we begin the ferment in stainless steel or glass. We primarily use wild yeast that already exists on the fruits and in our honey. The yeast multiplies, consuming the sugars and converting them to alcohol. The water and alcohol extract the right flavors from the herbs and skins of the fruit until the meadmaker decides to remove them. It is a low-tech process that allows us to produce meads of the highest quality in cooperation with the natural world.
- Winemaker Name:Raphael Lyon
- Producer Website:https://enlightenmentwines.com/