Monte Bernardi Chianti Classico Riserva "Sa'etta" DOCG - 2018
This reserve style Chianti Classico (100% Sangiovese) has great complexity and minerality, and therefore requires more time prior to release. Only the best grapes are selected from Sa’etta, a single vineyard which benefits from the best position, exposure and terrain on our estate. After natural fermentation, in large oak casks, the wine is placed in a combination of German and Austrian oak where it undergoes malolactic fermentation. The wine remains in oak for at least 24 months, followed by finishing in bottle for another 12 months.
The vineyard from which this wine is born consists of highly reflective sandstone (Arenaria-Calcare-Pietraforte), rich with quartz inclusions, resulting in a complex reserve style Sangiovese which is elegantly balanced; given time, this wine reveals luscious fruit components, a strong minerally-driven backbone, balanced acidity and firm elegant tannins. This wine can be laid down to be enjoyed in the years to come, but can also be enjoyed upon release.
- Sub-Region:Chianti Classico
Show More Less Information
- How much so2 added:Less than 10 mg/L. free and less than 25 mg/L. total
- Climate:In Panzano in Chianti, the summers are short, warm, and mostly clear and the winters are long, very cold, and partly cloudy. Over the course of the year, the temperature typically varies from 31°F to 86°F and is rarely below 21°F or above 94°F.
- Harvest Technique:Hand harvested
- Soil:sandstone soils
- Vineyard Size:4 ha
- Vine Age (year planted):1968.0
- Fermentation:After natural fermentation in large oak casks, the wine is racked into a combination of German and Austrian oak, where it undergoes malolactic fermentation.
- Elevage:The wine remains in oak for at least 24 months, followed by finishing in bottle for another 12 months.
- Winemaker Name:Michael Schmelzer
- Finning & Filtration:No
- Scores:Walter Speller for Jancis Robinson - a cut above superior (18 / 20 pts) - 2015 WineAlign (John Szabo MS) - 95pts - 2015 WineAlign (Michael Godel) - 94pts - 2015 John Fodera for Tuscan Vines - 94pts - 2011 vintage Richard Baudain for DECANTER – selected among Baudain's top dozen (17,5 / 91 pts) – 2009 vintage Walter Speller for Jancis Robinson - a cut above superior (17.5+/20.0 pts) – 2009 vintage World of Fine Wine - a cut above superior (17.5/20.0 pts) – 2008 vintage Vini Buoni D’Italia – Corona (the golden star), their top award – 2008 vintage Walter Speller for Jancis Robinson - a cut above superior (17.0/20.0 pts) – 2008 vintage Walter Speller for Jancis Robinson - a cut above superior (17.0/20.0 pts) – 2007 vintage FALSTAFF - 91pts - vintage 2006
- Producer Website:https://www.montebernardi.com
- Total Production:415.0
- Sustainable Certificates:Monte Bernardi is Certified Organic and uses biodynamic practices in the vineyard.
- Sustainable Practice:Yes