Nell'Anima Red Label - 2020
Michael Schmelzer is the incredible winemaker behind the Monte Bernardi wines of Chianti. This cuve of Gioventu comes from a vineyard above the village of Panzano in Chianti. The vineyard is in conversion from practicing organic to being certified. It sits above Panzano at 400 to 550 metres. Not quite as straightforward as the red cherry and plum nose first suggests, this eventually reveals black pepper, clove and anise. While mid-weight, the fruit is quite dense and hemmed in by sticky, clayey tannins, but levity returns with brisk acidity. Really made for food. Aged in a combination of cement and used oak barrels.
Show More Less Information
- How much so2 added:20 mg/s
- Climate:Mediterranean climate. In Panzano in Chianti, the summers are short, warm, and mostly clear and the winters are long, very cold, and partly cloudy. Over the course of the year, the temperature typically varies from 31°F to 86°F and is rarely below 21°F or above 94°F.
- Harvest Technique:Hand harvested
- Soil:clay soils
- Vineyard Size:9 ha
- Vine Age (year planted):2015.0
- Fermentation:After destemming and pressing grapes, we have a medium maceration time (12 days) with hand punch downs; wine is fermented with indigenous yeasts, fermentation temperature is 22°C.
- Elevage:Aging in cement for 6 months and big oak for 6 months. There is no fining or filtering before bottling.
- Winemaker Name:Michael Schmeltzer
- Finning & Filtration:No
- Total Production:960 cases
- Sustainable Practice:Yes