Nero d' Avola DOC "Lucori" Menfi - 2021
Nero d’Avola with a spicy and lively saline character, this wine truly represents the intriguing Sicilian terroir where it is produced. The wine has a bright ruby red color with intense shades of violet; its bouquet shows marine aromas, scents of mulberries and raspberries, pickle notes and a touch of light spices. It is fragrant and full on the palate, with soft velvety tannins that shape a vibrant, Mediterranean personality.
- Brand:Cantine Barbera
- Varietal:Nero d'Avola
Show More Less Information
- How much so2 added:30 mg/l
- Climate:The microclimate in Tenuta Belicello offers ideal conditions for growing Inzolia vines: the property is located about half a mile from the ocean and its Eastern area is made of calcareous and very deep soils, with a good quantity of limestones and an excellent mineral presence that enhances the grapes’ aromatic complexity. Furthermore, the vineyard is protected from the Northern winds and opens to Southern and Western winds coming from the Mediterranean that blow away the surplus humidity, thus preventing mildew and other fungus diseases.
- Harvest Technique:Hand harvested
- Soil:alluvial soils
- Vineyard Size:6 ha
- Vine Age (year planted):2000.0
- Fermentation:Nero d'Avola is picked during the first half of September, when the tannins reach a perfect phenolic ripeness and the berries display an intense dark blue color. Brought to the winery immediately after the harvest, the grapes are destemmed and crushed, and then delivered to stainless steel tanks. The fermentation doesn't start immediately because I like to extract the fresher and fruitier aromas from the skins through a short pre-fermentative maceration. This is possible lowering the tanks' temperature down to 50-52 °F, in order to slow down the natural activity of wild yeast until the must is brought again to about 65 °F in 24-36 hours. After cold maceration, the fermentation starts spontaneously and lasts for about 6 days. Pumping overs and déléstages are performed daily to enhance the wine's aromatic complexity. Malolactic fermentation and refining are also in stainless steel tanks. The wine is then bottled with no fining agents and no thermic treatments; a gentle filtration may be necessary depending on the vintage.
- Elevage:6 months in stainless and 6 months in bottle
- Winemaker Name:Marilena Barbera
- Finning & Filtration:No
- Total Production:1,000 cases
- Sustainable Practice:Yes