"Night Eyes" Sparkling Botanical Mead - 2022
This sparkling, pet-nat style mead is bubbly and fragrant up front, followed by intricate flavors of wild-fermented yeast and foraged herbs. Made from New York State honey, cherries, and apples, which are fermented together for six months before being infused with hand-picked sumac and rose hips. After aging for another six months in wood barrels, this bone-dry mead goes through a second bottle fermentation that produces its lively effervescence.
- Region:New York
- Sub-Region:Hudson Valley
- Varietal:Made from New York State honey, cherries, and apples, which are fermented together
- Color:Sparkling White
Show More Less Information
- Country:United States
- Harvest Technique:Hand harvested
- Fermentation: Our honey is diluted with water and combined with various botanicals, fruit, or fruit juices that are available locally and seasonally, and then fermented in wood barrels until there are no sugars from the honey remaining. In some cases, we begin the ferment in stainless steel or glass. We primarily use wild yeast that already exists on the fruits and in our honey. The yeast multiplies, consuming the sugars and converting them to alcohol. The water and alcohol extract the right flavors from the herbs and skins of the fruit until the meadmaker decides to remove them. It is a low-tech process that allows us to produce meads of the highest quality in cooperation with the natural world.
- Winemaker Name:Raphael Lyon
- Producer Website:https://enlightenmentwines.com/