Passo Bianco "Contrada PC" - 2019
Perched at 950 meters above sea level on Mt. Etna’s north face, a single, half-hectare vineyard produces the Chardonnay for the Passo Bianco Contrada PC. This is the very highest Chardonnay vineyard in Europe, and it yields elegant, prismatic wine with rich elderberry, peach, citrus, and herbal aromas, plus fresh salinity and dynamic minerality on the palate. Ferments and refines in large oak barrels to release a varied and intense sensorial profile, with rich aromas of elderberry, peaches, pineapple, citrus fruits and Mediterranean herbs, framed by a fresh, salty, dynamic and mineral sip.
- Commune/Village:Castiglione Di Sicilia
Show More Less Information
- How much so2 added:40 mg/l
- Climate:The summer of 2020 was moderated by many rains, and generally from bad weather; at the end of the month July then the heat returned, until the rains of 10 August and finally those of early September.
- Harvest Technique:Hand harvested
- Soil:volcanic soils
- Vineyard Size:0.5 ha
- Vine Age (year planted):1938 1960 1990
- Fermentation:After destemming and pressing, the must macerates for around twelve hours. A pie de cuve starts fermentation in large oak casks, and malolactic fermentation occurs naturally.
- Elevage:17 months in big oak casks. Bottling takes place in waning moon June.
- Winemaker Name:There is a team that follow the direction of Andrea Franchetti
- Scores:Eric Guido, Vinous, 94 points
- Total Production:300 cases
- Sustainable Certificates:Passopisciaro is certified organic and uses only treatments with zero chemical impact—clays, propolis, vitamin C, natural copper, and sulfur.