Passo Bianco "Terre Siciliane IGP" - 2019
Passobianco’s four hectares of Chardonnay vineyards are the highest in all of Europe, all between 850 and 1,000 meters in elevation. From these loose, deep, lava-ash soils, the winery crafts their Passo Bianco—an elegant, refreshingly mineral, and beautifully persistent wine. Andrea Franchetti has planted 4 hectares of Chardonnay, all between 850m and 1000m on the steep terraces of Contrada Guardiola, where the soil is loose and deep it is composed of lava ash with a high mineral content.
- Commune/Village:Castiglione Di Sicilia
Show More Less Information
- How much so2 added:40 mg/l
- Climate:A late ripening year on Mt. Etna as well, the vintage was characterized by a decidedly cold spring during April and May, with a light frost over May 6 7. This persistent cold weather continued until the end of May without interruption, causing a significant delay in flowering, which itself continued until the middle of June.
- Harvest Technique:Hand harvested
- Soil:volcanic soils
- Vineyard Size:15 ha
- Vine Age (year planted):1938 1960 1990
- Fermentation:After destemming and pressing, the must macerates for around 15 days. A pie de cuve starts fermentation in stainless steel, and a submerged cap extrapolates fruity notes without exaggerating tannins.
- Elevage:12 months in concrete tanks, 6 months in big oak casks. Bottling takes place in waning moon June.
- Winemaker Name:There is a team that follow the direction of Andrea Franchetti
- Total Production:1,200 cases
- Sustainable Certificates:Passopisciaro is certified organic and uses only treatments with zero chemical impact—clays, propolis, vitamin C, natural copper, and sulfur.