Riesling Green Label Finger Lakes - 2020
Red Newt's first vintage of Riesling, the 2020 Newt, features the vibrant aromatics, luscious fruit, and racy balance that are hallmarks of the best Finger Lakes Rieslings. This Riesling is made from some of our best fruit and adheres to the same rigorous requirements for cold soaking and spontaneous fermentation as our other wines. Excellent flavor development and well-balanced acidity; color is a mature yellow with green flecks. The fruit is in ideal condition for making wine; it is ripe and free of defects.
- Brand:Red Newt
- Region:New York
- Sub-Region:Finger Lakes
- Commune/Village:Seneca Lake
Show More Less Information
- Country:United States
- Climate:There were hardly any weather problems leading up to or occurring during harvest. Due to the month of September's large diurnal oscillations, sugar and flavor developed beautifully without any loss of acidity. The fruit was barely affected by a rainstorm in mid-October, but the vines got the water they required. Due to the favorable growth circumstances early in the year, harvests have begun earlier than in prior years.
- Harvest Technique:Mechanically harvested
- Soil:sandstone soils
- Fermentation:All of the Rieslings under the Red Newt label were fermented naturally in stainless steel tanks. Before applying sulfur, fermentations are cooled to halt the process. The Circle Riesling's stopping points were determined based on its optimal sugar and acid balance.
- Elevage:Initially fermented in February, this wine was cold stabilized on the lees until early April, when it was filtered and bottled.
- Winemaker Name:Harlan Fulkerson
- Producer Website:https://www.rednewt.com/