Riesling Noble Dry - 2017
Red Newt Cellars is located in the hamlet of Hector on the east side of Seneca Lake in the Finger Lakes region of New York. David and Debra Whiting launched Red Newt Cellars in 1998. With the 1998 vintage, only 1,200 cases of Chardonnay, Riesling, Vidal, Cayuga, Cabernet Franc, Cabernet Sauvignon, and Merlot were produced. The first white wines were launched in July 1999, with the formal opening of the winery and restaurant. While the honeyed aromas suggest classic dessert Rieslings, the wine transforms those aromatics into a dry and rich texture. The result is a surprisingly rich and delicious Riesling with a delicate balance of acid and alcohol that is difficult to produce. With a reference to German Auslese Trockens, this Riesling develops its own distinct personality, expressing a full-bodied, high-alcohol, and driven style unlike any other created by Red Newt.
- Brand:Red Newt
- Region:New York
- Sub-Region:Finger Lakes
- Commune/Village:Seneca Lake
Show More Less Information
- Country:United States
- Climate:A warm and dry harvest with above-average sun, a change in weather from cool and rainy during the summer, this late sunny pattern enabled for a fantastic harvest that lasted well into November! Long hang time was required to develop tastes in the berries, but thanks to the cooler-than-average growing season, this could be accomplished without sacrificing freshness.
- Harvest Technique:Mechanically harvested
- Soil:sandstone soils
- Fermentation:The wine was left to warm for several days before being encouraged to ferment spontaneously. The fermentation lasted an entire year, with moderate lees stirring during the warmer months. During the fermentation, no nutrients were introduced.
- Elevage:To guarantee freshness, the barrel was topped every other month, and it remained in barrel on full lees until April of 2019. There was no malolactic fermentation to speak of.
- Winemaker Name:Harlan Fulkerson
- Producer Website:https://www.rednewt.com/
- Total Production:70 cases