Organic Orange Riesling Trocken 2020
A rare and distinctive orange Riesling made from grapes that undergo several weeks of maceration on the skins. After fermentation, the wine is aged in 1,000-liter Fuder barrels before bottling without fining, filtration leaving the wine aromatic, expressive, and slightly grippy on the palate.
- Brand:Sybille Kuntz
Show More Less Information
- How much so2 added:No sulfur added
- Climate:The vineyard parcels are around the town of Lieser. The town was first mentioned 364 a. Chr. by Decimus Magnus Ausonius in his poem Mosella. The vineyards are direction south, southwest. Elevation 110-230 m. Proximity either directly along the Mosel or about 1 km away from it.
- Harvest Technique:Grapes are hand-harvested into small crates.
- Soil:Blue Devonian Slate
- Vineyard Size:2 hectares
- Vine Age (year planted):1962-1982
- Fermentation:Grapes are destemmed and crushed before fermentation with the skins for roughly four weeks. Then the wine is transferred is on the skins into tranditional Fuder (1000L) barrels where the Orange Riesling continues to mature.
- Elevage:On the lees from October to May until bottling.
- Winemaker Name:Sybille Kuntz
- Finning & Filtration: No Filtration.
- Producer Website:https://www.sybillekuntz.de/
- Total Production:400 cases
- Sustainable Certificates:Demeter Biodynamic Certification
- Sustainable Practice:Sybille Kuntz converted to organic farming in 1990, and is now Demeter Certified Biodynamic. Across the vineyards, no herbicides or artificial fertilizers are used. Instead, a spontaneous cover crop is allowed to thrive between the rows to encourage a natural balance of beneficial plant and animal life.