Tango Oaks Ice Wine Riesling - 2019
The Riesling grapes were hand-picked by a crew from Red Newt at 4 in the morning and processed into lugs till 6 in the morning. Picking fruit was done only at night using flashlights since the berries would melt if exposed to daylight. The lugs were placed in a welch bin and transported by truck to Red Newt for further processing. A vineyard with a stunning panorama of Seneca Lake but a very stark appearance due to the difficulty of growing plants in the narrow spaces between the vines. Carefully cultivated vines with ample solar exposure on the fruiting zone to fully mature the late-ripening Alsatian clones of Riesling. To prevent birds from eating the ice and to trap any ready-to-drop clusters, netting was placed over the rows that would be picked.
- Brand:Red Newt
- Region:New York
- Sub-Region:Finger Lakes
- Commune/Village:Seneca Lake
Show More Less Information
- Country:United States
- Climate: The weather was favorable and did not warm up despite the sun shining during picking.
- Harvest Technique:Mechanically harvested
- Soil:sandstone soils
- Winemaker Name:Harlan Fulkerson
- Scores:92 Wine Advocate, 94 Wine Enthusiast, 96 James Suckling
- Producer Website:https://www.rednewt.com/