Approximately 20 minutes west of San Sebastian, nestled into the rolling green hills of Gipuzkoa, dramatically overlooking the Atlantic coast of northern Spain, you’ll find Gañeta. Along the way you’ll encounter the port, the people and the vines that dwell in Spain’s most tiny DO Getariako Txakolina. Since the late 1980’s, Julian Ostolaza and Itziar have tended to 17 ha of Hondarrabi Zuri and Hondarrabi Beltza that hang on pergolas along the Getarian coast of País Vasco. They are about as local as you can imagine, and the essence of this special region. Julian hopes that the simplicity of production will allow the complexity of the nature that defines the terroir to shine in the wines. this coastal wine screams salty summertime sunshine, despite its rainy origin. Margarita like lime kick with all kinds of beach fizz, briny ocean water and notes of aloe.
- Sub-Region:Getariako Txakolina
- Varietal:Hondarribi Zuri
Show More Less Information
- Climate:This is an area of mild Atlantic climate, with high rainfall levels⎯an annual amount of about 1,600mm⎯ and mild temperatures⎯a minimum of 2oC in winter and a maximum of 35oC in summer. This affects to the txakolí’s aromatic acidity and intensity.
- Harvest Technique:Hand harvested
- Soil:sandy soils
- Vineyard Size:17 ha
- Vine Age (year planted):50 years old estate vines
- Fermentation:100% destemmed, briefly soaked on skins before pressing. fermented (native) in inox at low temperatures to retain as much natural CO2 as possible. The wine is bottled just after filtration, and no additional CO2 was added in the process.
- Elevage:Bottled after filtration to retain as much natural CO2 as possible
- Winemaker Name:Julian Ostolaza
- Finning & Filtration:Filtered, no additional CO2 was added in the process.
- Producer Website:https://www.gaineta.com/
- Total Production:100,000 bottles