Coste al Vento'Grillo DOC Sicilia - 2021
“Costa” is a Sicilian word for hillside, where the wind blowing from the Mediterranean Sea brings minerals to the soil and refreshment to vines and people. Grillo is one of the most interesting Sicilian grape variety. It was created in 1873 by agronomist Antonio Mendola by crossing two traditional native grapes: Catarratto and Zibibbo. Here I grow the Grillo, a native intriguing variety that embodies the inner character of Menfi's terroir with its unmistakable style and unique charm. Full bodied orange wine! It has a bright gold color, made even livelier by the typical green shades of the grapes' skin. To the nose, complex and elegant aromas of white ripe fruit merge into herbal scents of oregano, mint and sage that stand out against rich layers of nettle and fine green tea. Its full palate is enriched by a mineral and vibrant aftertaste. Coste del Vento ferments in amphoras. Thanks to the clay’s characteristics - moderate oxygen exchange, optimal thermal insulation and zero electric conductivity - this wine has a delicate color extraction and a vibrant palate.
- Brand:Cantine Barbera
Show More Less Information
- How much so2 added:32 mg/l
- Climate:Mediterranean climate
- Harvest Technique:Hand harvested
- Soil:alluvial soils
- Vineyard Size:5 ha
- Vine Age (year planted):2008; 2017
- Fermentation:The grapes are brought to the winery right after the harvest, they are immediately destemmed and delivered to clay amphoras. The must ferments spontaneously with all the skins for a week or more, depending on the vintage. After soft pressing, the fermentation continues without the skins until the wine is bone-dry. Depending on the vintage, Coste al Vento can undergo a full or a limited malolactic fermentation: under no circumstances will I interfere with its natural evolution, convinced as I am that the wine should represent the characteristics of each vintage and the personality of terroir.
- Elevage:the wine is then refined on fine lees for about 4 months.
- Winemaker Name:Marilena Barbera
- Finning & Filtration:No
- Producer Website:https://www.cantinebarbera.it/en/natural-wines-menfi-sicily.html
- Total Production:375 cases
- Sustainable Certificates:Sustainability has been a core value since the inception of the vineyard. We have solar panels on the roof of our winery building producing most of the electricity used. We do not use chemicals for spraying relying on old fashioned sulphur based products. We do not use chemical fertilizers but instead sow nitrogen producing broad beans. In terms of bio diversity less than half of the land we own is planted with wines, with the balance left wild.
- Sustainable Practice:Yes