Friend & Farmer
Castilla La Mancha, Spain
Friend & Farmer
"Bodegas Parra Jiménez, located on the high-desert plateaus of La Mancha, produces natural wines from certified organic and sustainable vineyards. They make wines of purity, structure, and elegance from a variety of native and international varietals.
The Parra family has cultivated the fields of La Mancha for generations, but they didn't have a winery until 1993. Organic viticulture was still considered an outlier in the region's winemaking mainstream at the time, but that didn't stop brothers Francisco, Javier, and Luis Parra. They settled outside of Cuenca in the village of Las Mesas and exported their first certified organic wine in 1996.
In 2004, they began expanding beyond wine after constructing new facilities on the Cuesta Colorá estate. Their long-term goal had always been to create a biodynamic, self-sustaining environment. So they began rearing sheep and planting garlic, grains, peas, and lentils, thus closing the agricultural loop. They have Sohiscert organic and Demeter biodynamic certifications, and they now sell organic garlic and Manchego cheese.
Javier's son Pablo has been in charge of the winemaking operation since 2017. He uses his knowledge from his studies at the University of Ribera del Duero, as well as assistance from the renowned Juan Antonio Ponce, to develop a portfolio of concentrated and well-structured natural wines. He's added an innovative streak to the estate, experimenting with orange wines, pet-nats, and amphorae-aged bottlings in addition to traditional winemaking.
As Pablo continues to push the envelope, he solidifies Bodegas Parra Jiménez's position as a model of biodynamic farming and winemaking in the region. "
- Producer: Bodegas Parra Jiménez
- Vendor: Bodegas Parra Jiménez
- Varietals: Verdejo, Tempranillo
- Sustainable Practices: "The goal is to establish a closed, sustainable ecosystem. The weeds feed the livestock, which fertilizes the crops. Parra Jimenez is also involved in food recycling by feeding the skins and stems from wine manufacturing to animals. Bodegas Parra Jimenez has evolved to become Europe's largest certified Organic vineyard while adhering to its founding principles. Today, a new generation, led by Pablo Parra, is leading the winery toward minimal winemaking intervention by launching a new natural line of small-batch wines. This new dedication necessitates careful attention at every stage of the winemaking process, beginning with the selection of grapes sourced at roughly 900 m altitude from some of La Mancha's highest vineyards."
- Country: Spain
- Region: Castilla La Mancha
- Sub Region: Las Mesas