Casa de Santa Eufemia 10 Year Tawny Port
An anomaly in a region where most producers source their grapes, Casa de Santa Eufemia, a grower port estate, was founded in 1894 by Bemardo Rodrigues de Carvalho. Located on the left bank of the Douro, in one of the oldest demarcated wine regions in the world, Santa Eufemia is now run by the sibling duo, Pedro and Lucia Carvalho. Pedro and Lucia cultivate varietals that are nearing extinction in Portugal, including Bastardo, Mourisco Tinto, Tinta Amarela, Tinta Barroca and Tinta Carvalha. In addition to the preservation of said grapes and more, the Carvalhos have also identified sub-plots within their vineyards, each known by the duo to produce specific colors, aromatics and structure, so that each sub-plot can be designated to a particular Tawny port. This wine has a deep tawny hue, and with an aroma characterized by dry fruits but also some slight floral and ripe fruit aromas (some orange flower). It has a delicate style, balancing freshness and dryness. There is good acidity and lightness, finishing with almost bashful sweetness.
- Brand:Casa De Santa Eufemia
- Sub-Region:Corgo Cima
- Varietal:Touriga Nacional, Touriga Franca, Tinta Roriz, Tinta Barroca, Tinto Cão, Tinta Amarela, Tinta Francisca
- Size:750 ml
Show More Less Information
- Climate:In Cima Corgo, which is east of Baixo Corgo, the average temperature is higher and rainfall not as prevalent.
- Harvest Technique:Practicing organic. Hand harvested
- Vineyard Size:45ha
- Vine Age (year planted):more than 15 years
- Fermentation:The fermentation occurs in a granite treading tanks (lagares) with capacity of 5000 kg. The grapes fermented for 5 days, using traditional treading by foot. The temperature of fermentation was between 22 and 25 oC. The fermentation was interrupted by the addition of grape spirit (brandy) with 77% alc.
- Elevage:In big oak cask with the capacity of 11.000 liters where they stay during the first 10 years. After they go to small casks of 550 liters (pipas) where they stay during more than 20 years.
- Winemaker Name:Alzira Viseu Carvalho
- Producer Website:https://www.qtastaeufemia.com/
- Sustainable Practice:Yes