Mezcal Artesanal San Juan del Rio NV
Alipus was started by Los Danzantes to provide a market for family artisan distilleries. There are still hundreds of small mezcal distilleries in Oaxaca, and a number of them make fabulous product. Hector Vasquez and later Karina Abad Rojas have worked closely with selected small producers, both to improve their distillation methods and to help them with the complex paperwork required to certify their mezcals for export .Alipús Mezcal originated in 1999 as a ‘social impact project’ that sought to support traditional producers and their lands in a number of regions. Today they work with nine mezcal producers in Oaxaca, all of which contribute to the development of rural economies.
- Brand:Los Danzantes
- Sub-Region:San Juan del Río, Tlacolula
- Varietal:100% non-irrigated agave Espadín grown in sunny, mountaintop plantings at 4600 feet ASL, on stony, silty soils
Show More Less Information
- Fermentation:Agave is wood roasted in conical hornos and crushed in a mule-driven tahona mill before being fermented in large pine tanks.
- Still Type:Copper pot still
- Distillation:Double discontinuous distillation
- Distiller Name:Don Rodolfo Juan Juárez (since 2013)
- Producer Website:https://craftdistillers.com/products/alipus/
- Sustainable Practice:yes