Ruby Port NV
An anomaly in a region where most producers source their grapes, Casa de Santa Eufemia, a grower port estate, was founded in 1894 by Bemardo Rodrigues de Carvalho. Located on the left bank of the Douro, in one of the oldest demarcated wine regions in the world, Santa Eufemia is now run by the sibling duo, Pedro and Lucia Carvalho. Pedro and Lucia cultivate varietals that are nearing extinction in Portugal, including Bastardo, Mourisco Tinto, Tinta Amarela, Tinta Barroca and Tinta Carvalha. In addition to the preservation of said grapes and more, the Carvalhos have also identified sub-plots within their vineyards, each known by the duo to produce specific colors, aromatics and structure, so that each sub-plot can be designated to a particular Tawny port. The enthusiastic red colour of this Port mixes with tastes of mature red fruits and jam. When tasting, you will notice the fruity tastes, revealing the tastes of grape varieties Touriga Nacional.
- Brand:Casa De Eufemia
- Sub-Region:Corgo Cima
- Varietal:Touriga Nacional, Touriga Franca, Tinta Roriz, Tinta Barroca, Tinto Cão, Tinta Amarela, Tinta Francisca
Show More Less Information
- Climate:In Cima Corgo, which is east of Baixo Corgo, the average temperature is higher and rainfall not as prevalent.
- Harvest Technique:Hand harvested
- Soil:schist soils
- Vineyard Size:45 ha
- Vine Age (year planted):more than 15 years
- Fermentation:The fermentation occurs in a granite treading tanks (lagares) with capacity of 5000 kg. The grapes fermented for 5 days, using traditional treading by foot. The temperature of fermentation was between 22 and 25 oC. The fermentation was interrupted by the addition of grape spirit (brandy) with 77% alc.
- Elevage:Nine months in stainless steel tanks where suffers a natural decantation process. Thereafter the wine is transferred to wooden casks with a capacity of 550 liters for 4 years ant then bottled
- Winemaker Name:Alzira Viseu Carvalho
- Producer Website:https://www.qtastaeufemia.com/
- Sustainable Practice:Yes