Friuli-Venezia Giulia, Italy
In one of Italy's most difficult and arid regions, 500 meters from the Slovenian border is the Azienda Agricola Skerk. Sandi Skerk cultivates approximately six hectares of vineyards in this area with the utmost respect for the natural environment and employing traditional winemaking methods. The viticulture here is truly heroic. The limestone-rich, reddish, and stony soils of the plots, which are 250 meters above sea level, produce high-quality wines. In a nutshell, these wines are very interesting, straightforward, and flavorful. Small vineyard plots are scattered across a thin layer of red soil, surrounded by porous layers of karst stone and thick grasses in Skerk's unique vineyards. The terraced vine rows supported by stacked-stone retaining walls that steeply descend toward the Gulf of Trieste and the Adriatic Sea emphasize this distinctive geography. With gentle marine breezes, the resulting mesoclimate displays significant temperature fluctuations. Skerk's wines have their own distinctive flavor because the Bora winds blow away fog and humidity at the same time. Skerk's father-and-son team has developed patience by watching the vines develop over time and establish their roots in the soil with hope and expectation. Being a part of this laborious process of integrating into the natural world rather than manipulating it is an honor for them. They try not to put pressure on the environment. They are merely gently directing it in accordance with the guidelines that their environment has established.
- Producer: Azienda Agricola Skerk
- Vendor: Azienda Agricola Skerk
- Varietals: Vitoska, Malvasia, Terrano and Pinot Grigio
- Labor Practices: Skerk wines is a family affair.
- Organic Practice Certificates: Soil and Health Ltd
- Sustainable Practices: In the cellar, natural procedures are preferred while invasive treatments are prohibited in the vineyard. The cellar itself is a limestone cave that allows the wines to perfectly mature in oak barrels by maintaining a proper temperature and humidity balance.
- Country: Italy
- Region: Friuli-Venezia Giulia
- Sub Region: Trieste