Contrada S - 2021
A deep Nerello Mascalese expression that spotlights the terroir of Contrada Sciaranuova. Meaning “new casting” in Sicilian, Sciaranuova occupies a relatively young lava flow, just 200 years old. Passopisciaro’s vineyard here produces a full-bodied, expressive wine that has dense and well-integrated tannins, plus facets of freshness and minerality. Light and bright ruby red Elegant and deep, of small red fruits, cherries in alcohol, licorice, black pepper and forest spices It tastes structured, full-bodied, expressive, very fresh and mineral, with dense and well integrated tannins
- Commune/Village:Castiglione Di Sicilia
- Varietal:Nerello Mascalese
Show More Less Information
- How much so2 added:40 mg/l
- Climate:The summer of 2020 was moderated by many rains, and generally from bad weather; at the end of the month July then the heat returned, until the rains of 10 August and finally those of early September.
- Harvest Technique:Hand harvested
- Soil:volcanic soils
- Vineyard Size:2 ha
- Vine Age (year planted):1938 1960 1990
- Fermentation:After destemming and pressing, the must macerates for around 15 days. A pie de cuve starts fermentation in stainless steel, and a submerged cap extrapolates fruity notes without exaggerating tannins.
- Elevage:18 months in big oak casks. Bottling takes place in waning moon June.
- Winemaker Name:There is a team that follow the direction of Andrea Franchetti
- Scores:Eric Guido, Vinous, 96 points
- Total Production:500 cases
- Sustainable Certificates:Passopisciaro is certified organic and uses only treatments with zero chemical impact—clays, propolis, vitamin C, natural copper, and sulfur.