La Bambina' Nero d' Avola Rosato DOC Menfi - 2022
La Bambina is dedicated to strong women, to their power and energy, to their tireless motivation in fighting for their beliefs, to their talent for problem solving despite difficulties and complications. It's the wine that I made against all advises that there was no future for such a rosé in the market and beyond expectation, at the winery and outside. It is a pleasant expression of Nero d’Avola, which grapes are harvested at night to preserve their freshest aromas, and to give birth to a very exciting wine that reflects the personality of Menfi's terroir.
- Brand:Cantine Barbera
- Varietal:80% Nero d'Avola, 20% Frappato
Show More Less Information
- How much so2 added:30 mg/l
- Climate:The microclimate in Tenuta Belicello offers ideal conditions for growing Inzolia vines: the property is located about half a mile from the ocean and its Eastern area is made of calcareous and very deep soils, with a good quantity of limestones and an excellent mineral presence that enhances the grapes’ aromatic complexity. Furthermore, the vineyard is protected from the Northern winds and opens to Southern and Western winds coming from the Mediterranean that blow away the surplus humidity, thus preventing mildew and other fungus diseases.
- Harvest Technique:Hand harvested
- Soil:alluvial soils
- Vineyard Size:6 ha
- Vine Age (year planted):Nero d'Avola 2000 - frappato 2010
- Fermentation:The Nero d'Avola was planted in 2007 in the Eastern part of Belicello, where gentle slopes are made of a clay-calcareus terrain rich in limestones that anciently belonged to the sea bottom. It's a deep soil of medium texture and a good drainage that shows a yellowish color with lighter fractions. Its amazing content in sea minerals grants the grapes a pleasant complexity, a good structure and full aromatic development. The Frappato is 10 years younger: it enriches the wine's color and aromas, while also enhancing its acidity. Both grapes usually get ripe about the first week of September. I usually pick a few days in advance, to preserve fresher and more delicate aromas, which are a distinctive feature of La Bambina rosé wine. Immediately brought to the winery, the grapes are destemmed as fast as possible and the berries are softly pressed with no skin contact: light color and freshness are preserved by decanting the must in stainless steel tanks, and the fermentation starts from a pied-de-cuve of wild yeast. The wine is then refined sur lie for a few months: the lees are manually stirred every week, in order to reach a satisfying degree of proteic stability with no additives nor fining agents.
- Elevage:4months in bottle
- Winemaker Name:Marilena Barbera
- Finning & Filtration:No
- Total Production:1,000 cases
- Sustainable Practice:Yes