Mezcal Artesanal Santa Ana Del Rio NV
Los Danzantes started Alipus to provide a market for family artisan distilleries. There are still hundreds of small mezcal distilleries in Oaxaca, and a number of them make fabulous product. Hector Vasquez and later Karina Abad Rojas have worked closely with selected small producers to improve their distillation methods and help them with the complex paperwork required to certify their mezcals for export. Alipús Mezcal originated in 1999 as a ‘social impact project’ that sought to support traditional producers and their lands in several regions. Today they work with nine mezcal producers in Oaxaca, all of which contribute to the development of rural economies.
- Brand:Los Danzantes
- Sub-Region:"Santa Ana del Río, Tlacolula "
- Varietal:100% agave Espadín grown at 5200 feet above ASL in mountainous, white, and very rocky soil with a high calcium content
Show More Less Information
- Fermentation:Agave is wood roasted in conical hornos and crushed in a mule-driven tahona mill before being fermented in large pine tanks.
- Still Type:Copper pot still
- Distillation:Double discontinuous distillation
- Distiller Name:Familia Hernández Melchor (since 2001)
- Producer Website:https://craftdistillers.com/products/alipus/
- Sustainable Practice:yes