Passorosso DOC Etna Rosso NV
An amalgamation of Nerello Mascalese grapes grown at various heights on Etna's northern flank. The higher elevations are typically located on gravelly soils with a coarser grain size, while the lower elevations are typically situated on finer and deeper soils composed of ancient lava flows that have now been oxidized and reduced to lava dust. This wine captures the essence of multiple distinct regions within a single bottle, providing an all-encompassing sense of place. It has a velvety texture with a refreshingly cool undercurrent of acidity and sweetness, making for an alluringly lively and fruit-forward flavor.
- Commune/Village:Castiglione Di Sicilia
- Varietal:Nerello Mascalese
Show More Less Information
- How much so2 added:40 mg/l
- Climate:The summer of 2020 was moderate with rains, and generally by the bad weather; at the end of the month July the heat returned, until the rain of 10th of August and finally those of early September. Later, after the pools of white fermented and all went to the beach with the majestic mountain under the sun, came the rain accompanied by a little hail; A wind from the north blew all night and on the first of October the expected cold fell on the cities and villages. For nearly a month the sky remained clear and from 14th of October all red grapes began to ripen. The first to reach the winery was Cesanese d’Affile, more sensitive to the temperatures of mid-October.
- Harvest Technique:Hand harvested
- Soil:volcanic soils
- Vineyard Size:15 ha
- Vine Age (year planted):1938 1960 1990
- Fermentation:After destemming, a soft pressing takes place and the must stays in contact with the skins for about 15 days. Fermentation is started through a pie de cuve in stainless steel containers. The submerged cap technique is used to extrapolate fruity notes without exaggerating with tannins. After that, malolactic conversion happens naturally.
- Elevage:12 months in concrete tanks, 6 months in big oak casks. Bottling takes place in waning moon June.
- Winemaker Name:There is a team that follow the direction of Andrea Franchetti
- Scores:Eric Guido, Vinous, 93 points; Othmar Kiem – Simon Staffler, Falstaff, 91 points
- Total Production:2500 cases